What is Nipple Discharge?
Dripping fluid from one or multiple ducts of nipple aerola complex is considered as Nipple Discharge. When there is excess discharge of the fluid then it is considered abnormal and calls for attention. This condition is rarely due to cancer. There can be numerous reasons behind Nipple Discharge such as abscess, birth control pills, breast infections, endocrine disorders, fibrocystic breasts, galactorrhea, injury or trauma to the breast, mammary duct ecstasia, menstrual hormone cycle changes etc.
Abnormal nipple discharge includes-
- When it comes out of just one nipple
- When it bleeds
- When it comes out without touching or squeezing
- Spontaneous nipple discharge
- Inability to breastfeed
- Total duct excision in the case of discharge from multiple ducts
- Michrodochectomy in which a small incision around the edge of the areolar is made